Club Leadership Week

Santosh Muralidaran, Features Assistant

From May 15-19, 2017, the Clubs Commissioners of Cupertino High School’s ASB (Associated Student Body) hosted it first annual Club Leadership Week. Composed of various workshops, seminars, and panels, the event sought to educate incoming and current club officers about effective club leadership. Each day of the week was catered to a specific aspect of leadership positions in a typical club. Monday was specifically geared for vice presidents and presidents of clubs. Tuesday was a day for secretaries and treasurers. Wednesday was a day dedicated for interested or current public relations officers of clubs, where the Clubs Commissioners discussed various topics pertaining to leadership skills and techniques for graphic design and illustration for club promotion. There was an interest panel on Thursday for interest and activity clubs on campus and a speaker panel for professional, competitive and service clubs on Friday. The panel concluded with a question and answer session between workshop attendees and panel speakers.

On Monday, the event hosts lectured event participants on how to be an effective vice president or president of a club. The topics discussed included the responsibilities of presidents and vice presidents, how to perpetuate a team environment, and leadership skills with many supplemented practice activities and simulations.

Archie Sravankumar, junior at Cupertino High School and future president of the Quizbowl club, attended the workshop for presidents and vice presidents on Monday. “[As president], I need to know what my job entails and make sure that my club is on track for next year. [These workshops] are really important for small clubs like Quizbowl because we have 10-15 members…This workshop helped me put down my goals and make sure Quizbowl is alive next year.” For smaller clubs, the workshops on Monday were beneficial for presidents and vice presidents as they were able to understand how exactly to recruit members to their club and prevent their club from perishing the following year due to low membership.

Ruchi Shah, one of the coordinators for the club workshops this week and junior at Cupertino High School, expressed why they believed these workshops were a necessity for the nature of clubs on campus. “I think we are giving a proper guidance about what we expect from them and what they could do to make their clubs better so I definitely believe [the clubs] will improve next year compared to this year,” she said.